Production/Technical Stage Manager
Notnow Collective are hiring a Production/Technical Stage Manager for our forthcoming tour.
We are looking for a hard working and organised individual to support the rehearsals and tour of our new show “DadMan: The Bathtime Warrior”.
DadMan: The Bathtime Warrior is the second show by Notnow Collective, supported by Arts Council and Sir Barry Jackson Trust. The project includes a nationwide tour throughout 2018 and early 2019, and Audience Development activity. We create work for adults to which we welcome babies. Our focus is to help the venues in engaging new audiences, in particular parents of young children.
- At least 3 years professional experience of technical stage management and small scale touring
- Ability to compile production technical specifications for venues
- Experience of re-lighting shows using the lighting designer’s plan
- Experience of setting up and running of AV
- Knowledge of Qlab to a high standard
- Awareness of current Health and Safety regulations, including CDM
Regulations (Construction (Design and Management)
- Experience of writing and managing Risk Assessments
- Driver with valid UK driving licence happy to drive a touring van
- Experience of managing production budgets
- Good communicator
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and to organise workload efficiently
- Knowledge of Word and Excel
- First Aid trained
- Holds a current DBS check (dates within the last year)
- Familiarity with relaxed performances
- Familiarity with family/early years shows
- Writing and distributing rehearsal and production schedules
- Taking the lead on liaising with Set Designer regarding the delivery/transport of the set
- Liaising with the LX/AV designer around LX/AV design and hiring of all the necessary equipment.
- Compiling technical specifications and liaising with the venues regarding technical details and get-ins
- Leading technical set up for each performance
- Leading the get-out of each show and packing the van
- Support Performer #3 in the technical operation of the show during rehearsals and performances.
- Hiring of touring vehicles and managing the hires and returns
- Liaising with the creative team about rehearsals and tour logistics
- General stage management duties during the rehearsals and tour including maintaining The Book, sourcing and maintaining set, props, and costume care, running props, etc.
- Managing the set and equipment storage
- Ensuring compliance with Health and Safety regulations
- Preparing, updating and distributing Risk Assessment
- Writing and issuing Show Reports after each performance
- Reporting regularly to Artistic Director and Project Manager, coordinating production expenditure
- Contribution to evaluation of the project including a blog post reflecting on your experience of stage managing a baby-friendly performance
- Operating the Difference Engine during 4 performances – training on this will be provided (*see note below)
* The Difference Engine is a tool for delivering captions and audio description to the mobile devices of audience members at a performance (or other event).
Designed by Talking Birds, it is intended for site specific, promenade, small scale or touring performances, made by small companies who have thus far been unable to afford the conventional access solutions, or unable to fund the necessary audience development to attract deaf or hard of hearing audiences to see our work.
Rehearsal period: 14th May-8th June (Birmingham)
9th June – The Quarry, Bedford
10th June – Attenborough Arts Centre, Leicester
27th June – Stamford Arts Centre
21st September– Theatre Clwyd
25th October – Cast, Doncaster
27th October – Derby Theatre
1st & 2nd November – Square Chapel Halifax
7th November – Wolverhampton Arena
January 2019 – 5 further UK dates dates TBC (between 25th January and 10th February 2019).
Pick up and returns around these dates will be confirmed by mutual agreement of Project Manager and Production Manager.
The tour still awaits full confirmation.
- £1832 to cover 4 week rehearsal period (ITC rate of £458 per week).
- £1950 for 13 odd touring dates (at £150 per day)
Deadline to apply is 11th April 2018, 5pm. Interviews will take place in Birmingham in the week of 16th April 2018.
To apply: Please send up to date CV together with the cover letter which outlines your interest and suitability for this position (max 1 side of A4) to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the “DADMAN PRODUCTION/TECHNICAL STAGE MANAGER” in the subject line.
Please include names and contact details (e-mail and telephone) of two referees. They might be contacted prior to possible offer of the role.
DadMan: The Bathtime Warrior
This is a show about not baby-sitting your own kids.
DadMan is a warrior. He stands strong at the gates of an ideal Birth-Plan and sings the blues about Being The Only Man At A Parent And Baby Group. He courageously navigates the precipices of School Runs. DadMan enters the contest for the title of The Breadwinner armed with swords and Lego.
This show is partly quiz, partly story intertwined with live music and original songs, partly total fantasy where DadMan dives in and out of the bathtub, running into Trust, Breasts, Flexi –Hours, Soft Play Areas and Sex (not necessarily in that order, or at the same time!!). Finally, DadMan realises there is actually another, much bigger mountain to climb.
Dadman: The Bathtime Warrior is a devised show, created by two mums, performed by two dads, with contributions from 5 dad-artists, including Daniel Bye.
Notnow Collective supports parent-artists in the performance industry, which can be so notoriously inaccessible to those with caring responsibilities. We try to work alongside our collaborators’ caring duties, and open our rehearsal space to kids. We try to implement the chaos and order of parenting into the dramaturgy of our work, creating a “baby-proof dramaturgy”.
Notnow Collective specialise in the baby-friendly, baby-welcoming and baby-proof shows for adults. We want to enable our audiences to enjoy a great night out at daytime, without needing to spend on a baby-sitter! If, on the other hand, they desire a baby-free experience, we offer an adult-only evening show!